Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Ebay Purchase of the Day: "Blondy" Ryan 1934-36 Diamond Star



So I just picked up this 1934-36 Diamond Star "Blondy Ryan" off of Ebay- seller was asking for $8.56 (odd number, eh?), and was offering a very enticing $.75 shipping charge (total purchase costs just under $10!). So, I clicked that "Buy-It Now" button as quickly as I could. The card is described as "Very Good" and has some "soil spots". Otherwise, a beautiful card with great corners and coloring for this classic vintage set. Over the years, I've had a handful of Goudey cards, but never any Diamond Stars- needless to say, I'm very excited about this purchase!

Let's take a look at "Blondy" on Baseball-Reference.com:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/ryanbl01.shtml

Wow- you know jumps out at me? He finished 9th in the 1933 MVP race in the N.L. with the following #s: .238 AVG, 3 HRs, 48 RBIs, 0 SBs- That line makes Kevin Stocker look like a perennial all-star! Not quite sure what the 1933 N.L. MVP voters were drinking- but I'm sure Blondy was buying it :)

He was very hardly a Philly, only playing half a season in 1935 with them, but I'll take it.

Coming soon- my top 5 favorite Phillies cards- Just to clarify, these are cards that I own.

No comments: