Monday, July 7, 2008

My Phavorite Phillies Cards: Top Ten List- #5

To continue on with my favorite cards, I'll be listing them individually, well, because it's fun that way (and to once again be clear, these are cards that I own):

5. 1965 Topps- Richie Allen


Now that is an All-Star Rookie trophy!- I always prefered the large statue trophies Topps used to "hand out" vs. the bowl shaped trophies that they reintroduced in 1987- here's a sample:

(Note- Ruffin's card is NOT in my top ten!!!)

Dick Allen was a manchild- if he had stayed healthy, he would have finished a first ballot Hall of Famer- his early Philly career defintiely appeared to be going in that direction- baseball-reference.com has his age 25 "most similar by age" comparison as Willie Mays!

Although this is technically not Allen's rookie card, I prefer this one for several reasons:

  • - The 1965 Topps set has always been one of my favorites, and the 1964 Topps set one of my least favorite.

  • - The relative scarcity of this high number card actually pushes the value of the card above the '64 rookie.

  • - No dorky black rimmed glasses and no John Herrnstein:



Allen came into the league a dorky four eyes, and left as a juggling, chainsmoking badass:



No comments: